CEHLAR, John J.

CEHLAR, John J.
John J. CEHLAR, age 90. Loving father to Michael (Dr. Joy Stankowski) and Marybeth Gibbons (Dan). Beloved uncle, cousin and friend to many. Preceded in death by his brother Andrew (Mae), sister Ann Sevick (Steve, deceased) and cherished wife, Elizabeth J. “Betty”, (nee Ivanski).
John served his country in the US Army in the Korean War and remained active in veterans organizations. He was a devout and charitable Catholic whose faith was an inspiration to all those who knew him. John was an avid gardener, card player, and golfer. Memorial donations can be made to Holy Family Home or St.  Augustine’s Hunger Center. Private services were held. Interment at Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery.

To offer condolences visit www.ZaborFH.com. Arrangements by The Zabor Funeral Home, Parma.

Print Obituary & Condolences Print Obituary & Condolences

Offer Condolence for the family of CEHLAR, John J.

Messages of Condolence

1. James Maschari on May 19th, 2020 3:31 pm

So Sorry to hear about your dad ! May he Rest In Peace.

2. Denise Russo on May 19th, 2020 3:41 pm

My deepest condolences to each of you. Thank you, Mr. Cehlar, for your service. Blessings to you on a life well-lived.

3. Steve and Chris Sevick on May 19th, 2020 4:46 pm

I remember being in their wedding as a ring bearer, We always had many family card games and get togethers for all holidays. He .will be greatly missed. Love from all the Sevick Family

4. sara on May 20th, 2020 8:51 am

i will miss our jokes of you calling me crazy hair and my reply to no hair .. rest in peace my favorite customer

5. Tony & Jaylene Suvar on May 20th, 2020 4:26 pm

Always great to talk sports with John. He had great sense of humor too.

6. Patricia Bernatowicz on May 20th, 2020 9:57 pm

To my Uncle, my Godfather I will miss you dearly.

7. Craig Cehlar on May 21st, 2020 7:33 am

Uncle John will be greatly missed by family and friends. Loyal family man to his parents, brother and sister and of course wife and children. Family gatherings bring back wonderful memories. Uncle always called me by the nickname he gave me. His laugh is unforgettable. When he laughed it was contagious. He was a great brother to my Dad especially as he helped and supported during Dad’s illness. Also helped Dad and Aunt Ann during his Father’s illness. Uncle John is a great example of a Christian family man. Your nephew Trigger will always fondly remember you for who you were and what you represented to me, my wife Lynn and children David and Becky.

8. Ellen HIbjan on May 21st, 2020 3:58 pm

John & Betty were also so kind & gracious at St. Anthony of Padua Church & the Holy Family Home. So wonderful they are together at last. Sincerely, Ellen Hiban

9. Todd Silver on May 22nd, 2020 5:22 pm

Very sorry for your loss.
    Condolences to your family.
    Warmly.
    Todd Silver

10. Mike & Christine Urbancic on May 24th, 2020 12:00 pm

We are so sorry to see that our friend John passed away. We were fellow-parishioners at St. Anthony of Padua. For the last couple of years we gave John dill from our yard so that he could make his “Solar Pickles”. Of course he gave us the recipe and we’ve been making them for many years. Those pickles are the best and we will always think of John when we make another batch! Thank you John and Rest In Peace. We will miss you….Mike & Chris

11. Bob and Karen Liggett on May 24th, 2020 6:31 pm

Mike, Mary Beth and the rest of the Cehlars, Our condolences and prayers for your loss. John was such a good man and will be missed. Saw his memorial in plain dealer this morning. God bless all of you. Karen and Bob .

12. Lisa Zeleznik on May 26th, 2020 12:01 pm

To the Dear Cehlar Family,
    You are in my thoughts and prayers especially today as you say goodbye to your Dad. Being neighbors for 20 years I will miss him so as I do your Mom. I am fortunate to have known them.
    Happy Birthday John…I can’t give you chocolates but I can send my love. God gave you the greatest gift, being with Betty, your true love.
    God bless
    xo

13. Roger Bobowicz on May 26th, 2020 5:43 pm

John always greeted me at Mass when he saw me. Last time was on March 11th, so I was surprised to learn of this. My Mom and I knew John and Betty, who also was kind and caring. Please accept my condolence (I learned of this from the Parish bulletin).

Please share your thoughts ...